Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


April 11, 2017 > Fremont Police Log

Fremont Police Log

Submitted By Geneva Bosques, Fremont PD

Friday, March 31
At 1:44 p.m. two men reportedly committed a theft and stole liquor from the CVS store at the Fremont Hub. As they fled the scene on bicycles, they attempted to strike an employee. Sergeant OÕConnell located the suspects fleeing down Beacon Avenue and detained one of them, described as a 27-year-old man. The suspect had a bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey with the store security label still attached. Store employees later identified the suspect during an in-field lineup. He was arrested on suspicion of robbery. The second suspect was not found.

Saturday, April 1
Officers investigated a commercial burglary at Briarwood Elementary. Unknown suspects broke into a locked cargo container and stole electronic equipment and various sports lights. Estimated loss is approximately $3,000. There were no suspect leads. The case is being investigated.

At approximately 5 p.m. officers were dispatched to investigate a report of criminal threats being made with a gun. A 22-year-old man, suspected of being under the influence, reportedly battered his girlfriend and brandished a firearm at his brother. Officers arrived and ordered the man to come out of the residence. When the man refused, additional officers and the hostage negotiation team were called in. After several hours of the tactical response and successful negotiations the suspect (and his girlfriend), the man surrendered without incident. A warrant was written and served on the residence and a rifle was recovered. During the incident a nearby portion of Auto Mall Parkway was shut down in both directions as a safety precaution. The man was arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats and exhibiting a deadly weapon.

At 7:15 p.m., officers responded to call of a possible shooting at the Best Western Garden Court Inn, 5400 Mowry Ave. Multiple officers responded to the hotel and learned that a man had been seen running from the pool area while bleeding. Eventually officers learned that the man was associated with one of the rooms. A contact team was established while other officers established a perimeter. A search of the room didnÕt turn up evidence. A small amount of suspected blood was found in the area, along with shell casings, but the man was not located. An investigation is continuing.

Sunday, April 2
At 3:33 p.m. a woman called to report that she and her ex-boyfriend were involved in a dispute in the area of Farwell Drive and Mowry Avenue. As she drove away, the man fired several rounds from a handgun into the air. Officers respond to the scene, but couldnÕt locate the man. Multiple witnesses reported that they had watched the man discharge the firearm into the air, but did not call the police. Units responded to the suspectÕs home and several other areas trying to locate him. Once he was found, officers ordered him to come outside. He emerged from the garage, then ran and jumped over a fence before being detained by officers. No firearm was found and the suspect would not tell officers what he had done with it. The 29-year-old Fremont man was arrested on multiple firearm violations including, a felon in possession of a firearm, willfully discharging a firearm, convict in possession of a firearm and obstructing/resisting an officer.

At 5:40 p.m., a man at the Starbucks located on Mowry Avenue at Fremont Boulevard reported that he was robbed of his laptop computer by a group of 6 or 7 men. The men reportedly fled in two different vehicles, one of which was a Gold Infinity that was reported stolen out of Oakland. A second vehicle was a black Nissan Maxima. Information was shared with nearby police agencies. Union City police found the stolen Infinity traveling north on I-880 and pursued it on the freeway and then onto San Leandro city streets. The vehicle was soon found abandoned. Union City and San Leandro police officers saw multiple suspects nearby and began foot pursuits of five juveniles. All were eventually caught. The initial robbery victim and a witness could not identify any of the suspects as the one who stole the laptop. However, one of the detained suspects was in possession of the laptop when running from the vehicle. That suspect was arrested for possession of stolen property. All other juveniles were released to their guardians due to lack of evidence.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice