Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


March 7, 2017 > Affordable Housing Impact Fees

Affordable Housing Impact Fees

Submitted By City of Fremont

The City of Fremont recently retained an economic consultant to conduct a Ònexus studyÓ to determine whether an affordable housing impact fee on commercial development is justifiable as a way to increase resources for affordable housing. The study found that a fee is legally justifiable and included recommendations for a fee ranging from $2-$8 per square foot on new projects, depending on the type of development. For more information: Dan Schoenholz, or (510) 494-4438.

Maintenance Center goes green with new solar
Construction recently began on new solar carport structures at the CityÕs Maintenance Center at 42551 Osgood Road. The structuresÑsimilar to those constructed in parking lots at the Police Building Complex, the Aqua Adventure Waterpark, and Irvington Community CenterÑwill result in about a 5% reduction in the Òcarbon footprintÓ from City operations, representing another step toward meeting the CityÕs Climate Action Plan goals. The project will also save the City an estimated $1.3 million in electricity costs over 20 years. As an added benefit, the carports will provide shade in the summer (reducing vehicle air conditioning needs) and rain protection in the winter. For questions, please contact Dan Schoenholz at or (510) 494-4438.

Replacing your water heater
If or when itÕs time for you to replace your water heater, a building (plumbing) permit and follow up inspection are required. The City also recognizes that many homeowners need to replace water heaters in an emergency situation, so the City also accepts applications after the fact. Water heater replacement applications may be submitted to the CityÕs Development Services Center or faxed to the City at (510) 494-4820.

The City has developed a useful guide for Residential Gas Water Heaters. The guide addresses a number of important requirements, including proper sizing based on number of bedrooms and bathrooms, not persons in your household, and installation requirements such as earthquake straps to prevent structural damage and the gas pipe from rupturing during an earthquake. For more information, contact the CityÕs Plans and Permits Division at or (510) 494-4460.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice