November 15, 2016 > Spanish-Mexican era Adobe receives new floor
Spanish-Mexican era Adobe receives new floor
Submitted By Kelsey Camello
Recently, the Galindo-Higuera Adobe in Warm Springs received a much needed floor renovation. The adobe, built between 1830-1840 and fully restored in 1978, is one of the last remaining adobe buildings from the Spanish-Mexican era in the Tri-city area. Located in Rancho Higuera Historical Park, the adobe building and grounds are owned by the City of Fremont.
The Washington Township Museum of Local History (caretaker of the property) has worked closely with the Mission San Jose Rotary in the past, most often in regards to improvements to the adobe and park grounds. Previously, the MSJ Rotary project team helped with sagging fence lines, storage shelves, broken gates and the like.
On October 8, Rotarian Mike Wirjadisastra (President), Larry Anderson (project lead) and seven other helpers worked to install a new decomposed granite floor inside the adobe. This new floor is a huge improvement on the original from the 1978 restoration Ð a simple compressed soil treatment. The granite floor has made the adobe a more hospitable space, lightened the room, and mitigated the dirt smell and dusty debris, which would often go home with visitors on their pants and shoes.
The adobe is regularly used for local history school tours for students in the Fremont Unified School District. The tours have been very well received by students and teachers, and a higher number of groups than last school year are expected to trudge through the adobe in 2016-17.
Thank you, to the Mission San Jose Rotary, for once again working to make the adobe a cleaner, more beautiful space for Fremont students, citizens and visitors.
Interested in visiting the adobe or becoming a volunteer? Please contact the Washington Township Museum of Local History by calling (510) 623-7907, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting 190 Anza Street in Fremont.