April 15, 2014 > Lets Go Green Together!
Lets Go Green Together!
Washington Hospital and the City of Fremont to Host Free Earth Day Expo
To help promote a cleaner and greener environment, Washington Hospital and the City of Fremont are observing Earth Day by hosting a special community event that will focus on how all of us can help make our community a healthier place. On Saturday, April 26, members of Washington Hospital's Green Team, the City of Fremont and other local Tri-City organizations will stage an education expo to raise environmental awareness and share eco-friendly ideas with people in our District.
The "Let's Go Green Together!" event will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. inside the Conrad E. Anderson M.D. Auditoriums located at 2500 Mowry Avenue (Washington West) in Fremont.
"Washington Hospital is dedicated to developing green ideas and solutions to foster the best possible outcomes for patients, while also conserving resources, reducing waste and creating sustainability programs all around the hospital," says Paul Kelley, Director of Biomedical Engineering and Green Initiative at Washington Hospital. "Our upcoming event will be a great opportunity for people to learn how to reduce waste at home and learn new ways to go green."
Learn Gardening Tips
Gardening experts will share their expertise and help you prepare for the spring gardening season. Come learn more about Bay Area friendly gardening, see samples of drought resistant plants, California natives, and plants that attract pollinators.
Dispose and Drop-Off the Following Items for Free
Several designated booths inside the Conrad E. Anderson M.D. Auditorium will be available for those who would like to drop off and recycle the following items:
* Disposal of unused, unwanted medications: Do not dispose of medicines down the drain where they end up polluting our waters. Instead bring expired or unwanted medications for drop-off, knowing they will be processed in an environmentally responsible way. The Union Sanitary District booth will accept all of your unused medication.
* Disposal of home generated sharps: This includes needles and syringes, lances, etc. These sharps must (by state law) be in an approved sharps container. We will have a limited number of sharps containers available free of charge to those who need them. Identification will be required per the County of Alameda. Business generated sharps cannot be accepted.
* Donating eyeglasses: The Lions Club recycles and distributes eyeglasses all over the world to people in need. Bring your old eyeglasses and give someone else the gift of sight!
* Mercury Thermometer Exchange: Washington Hospital and the Union Sanitary District are working to keep Mercury out of our local waterways by reducing its presence in products and devices. If you bring us a mercury thermometer we will swap it out for free with a digital thermometer that is mercury free.
* Learn More at Our Education Booths
Healthy eating: Washington Hospital clinical registered dietitians will talk about healthy eating, weight control and tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
* Recycling and reducing household waste: See exhibits, talk to specialists and
learn the proper ways to reduce, re-use, and recycle at home and at the workplace.
* Eco-Friendly gardening and composting
Learn how to save energy at home
Fun Activities for the Kids
"Eco-tainment" activities, face painting, earth day art drawing and other free games will be available for children. A juggler will entertain and educate with an eco-oriented show.
New Ð Bike Rodeo!
The East Bay Bicycle Coalition (EBBC) will be offering a free Kids Bike Rodeo at this yearÕs event. A team of youth cycling instructors will educate children about bicycle safety and take them through a city course. Bikes and helmets will be provided. The instructors will walk the children through the following skills:
* How to Perform a Bicycle Safety Check
* Proper Helmet Fitting
* Proper Starting and Stopping
* Signaling and Communication
* Shifting Gears
* Scanning Ahead
* Shoulder Checking
Local Sustainability Programs
Members of the Washington Hospital Green Team, City of Fremont and other local organizations will be on hand to explain how they are implementing eco-friendly programs and showcase the sustainability practices that are already in place. Learn about becoming more sustainable at home and at work!
Mark Your Calendar!
What: Let's Go Green Together!
Date/Time: Saturday, April 26 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Location: Conrad E. Anderson M.D. Auditorium, 2500 Mowry Avenue (Washington West) in Fremont.
Learn More: www.whhs.com/green