April 9, 2013 > Ramirez honored as 'Woman of the Year'
Ramirez honored as 'Woman of the Year'
Submitted By Sergio Reyes
Senate Majority Leader Ellen M. Corbett (D-San Leandro) named Fremont resident Julie Ramirez as the 2013 10th Senate District "Woman of the Year."
Ramirez is the Founder and President of Alameda Blue Star Moms / Chapter CA23. This non-profit has assisted hundreds of local military families with school supplies, toys for the holidays, and coats and bicycles for children since 2009. It has provided resources for parents of deployed soldiers, returning veterans and supporters of military families.
"Julie Ramirez has distinguished herself as an active community resident and supporter of military families, including her own," Corbett said. "Her leadership in founding the Alameda Blue Star Moms Chapter CA 23 is a testament to her commitment to East Bay families. It is my honor to name Julie as 10th Senate District 'Woman of the Year.'"
Senator Corbett also celebrated the outstanding accomplishments of other local trailblazing women that enhance the quality of life in the community last night. Honorees include:
* Dr. Norma Ambriz-Galaviz, Merritt College President
* Dr. Gari Browning, Ohlone College President
* Sue Chan, Fremont City Councilmember
* Dr. Susan Cota, Former Chancellor of Chabot-Las Positas Community College District
* Emily Duncan, Union City Vice Mayor
* Carol Dutra-Vernaci, Union City Mayor
* Pat Gacoscos, Union City Councilmember
* LaDonna Harris, Alameda County Chief Probation Officer
* Jennifer Hosterman, Former Pleasanton Mayor
* Susan Muranishi, Alameda County Administrator
* Anu Natarajan, Fremont Vice Mayor
* Nancy O'Malley, Alameda County District Attorney
* Sandra Spagnoli, San Leandro Police Chief
* Diane Urban, Hayward Police Chief
Senator Corbett recognized Ramirez and the 14 'Trailblazers' at a reception held Thursday, April 4 at the Pleasanton Veterans Memorial Building.