October 9, 2012 > Voter Information for General Election
Voter Information for General Election
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
* October 22, 2012 - last day to register to vote
* October 30, 2012 - last day to request a Vote-By-Mail Ballot
* November 6, 2012 - Election Day - polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
How to Register to Vote
To vote in California, you must be:
* At least 18 years old by election day
* A U.S. Citizen
* A California resident
* Not in prison or on parole for a felony
* Not declared mentally incompetent by court action
Use the California Online Voter Registration System at http://RegisterToVote.ca.gov.
Alternatively, paper registration forms are available at the Registrar of Voters' Office, U.S. Post Offices, public libraries, the Department of Motor Vehicles and other government offices. Signed and completed forms must be returned in person or by mail. They cannot be faxed or e-mailed.
How to Obtain a Vote-By-Mail Ballot:
Alameda County Voters (any of the following methods):
* Apply online at www.acgov.org/rov/votebymail.htm;
* Complete and mail the application form on the back of the Sample Ballot and Voter Information Pamphlet to the Alameda County Registrar of Voters, PO Box 23340, Oakland, CA 94623-2334;
* Email, fax or mail a letter requesting a vote-by-mail ballot. Provide your name, home address, the address to which the ballot should be sent and your signature.
The Voter Information pamphlet is available in several languages. To request a copy, please call the number shown: English (510) 272-6952, Chinese (510) 208-9665, Spanish (510) 272-6975, Tagalog (510) 272-6952 and Vietnamese (510) 272-6956) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alameda County voters can use the My Voter Profile feature at www.acgov.org/rov.profile.htm to view their sample ballot, find out how to receive election materials in a different language, locate their polling place, identify the district in which they live and obtain answers to other questions.
Santa Clara County Voters:
* Download a Vote by Mail Request Form from www.sccgov.org. Mail the completed form to Registrar of Voters, Vote By Mail Division, PO Box 611750, San Jose, CA 95161 or faxed to (408) 293-6002. Requests must be received at least seven days before the election (postmarks not accepted).
The following bilingual phone numbers are available: Chinese (408) 282-3086, Spanish (408) 282-3095, Tagalog (408) 535-3916 and Vietnamese (408) 282-3097.
Santa Clara County voters should visit www.sccgov.org/sites/rov to view their sample ballot, look up their district, find their polling place and answers to other questions.
If you lose your ballot, call the Registrar of Voters' Office for a replacement. If it is too late to send one, you may vote on a provisional ballot at your polling station.
For more information:
Alameda County Registrar of Voters
1225 Fallon Street, Rm. G-1
Oakland, CA 94612-4283
(510) 267-8683 (Phone)
(510) 208-4967 (TDD)
(510) 272-6982 (Fax)
Business Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters
1555 Berger Drive, Bldg 2
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 299-8683 (General)
(866) 430-8683 (Toll free)
Business Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.