October 9, 2012 > Candidate Lily Mei
Candidate Lily Mei
For Fremont Unified School District Governing Board Member
Reason for running - I am honored to serve as the current Fremont Unified School District Board President in these challenging times when it needs active leadership. I hope to continue my service to Fremont students, families and schools by providing stability and continuity. I see the Board as being a critical facilitator in ensuring that the voice of the parents and community are heard during the fact-finding and decision-making processes to implement the best practices applicable for our school district.
Despite our many fiscal challenges, I will continue to implement programs focused on student achievement and bridging the achievement gap. To ensure continued effective board governance, I will work closely with our staff, advisory committees and the community for timely access to budgets, fiscal transparency and instructional equity. I strive to continue growing our District's well-established reputation for award-winning schools, and foster the development of higher-performing schools in every attendance area - inspiring our students with quality education, preparing them for the 21st Century workforce.
Qualifications - For 18 years, my family has made Fremont its home. I am proud to be a fellow parent with two students in our District.
* I advocated responsible housing development in collaboration with Fremont's City Council and showed the impact housing growth has on the demands for school facilities.
* My active leadership on local initiatives brought community support for local funds to maintain and restore educational offerings.
* As Board President, I implemented policies and programs focused on improving student achievement and to bridge the achievement gap.
* As a regional California School Board Association delegate representative for Alameda County, I helped set policy to reflect the interests of our school district.
* I served on my local school PTA, including a two-year term as President, and I served on a school site council.
* I embrace Fremont's many diverse recreational and civic efforts. As an active volunteer and leader, I enjoyed supporting local scouting and sports programs. I have served either as a board member or advisor of community organizations such as Citizens for Better Community, Music for Minors and Save Fremont Students.
* As the Northern California Vice-President of the Asian Pacific Islander School Board Members Association (APISBMA), I participated in the establishment and growth of CSBA's Council of Presidents, a collaborative effort working with CSBA and the Asian, Black, Latino and Native American ethnic school board member associations to focus attention on addressing issues to minority students and their families.
Prior to joining the Fremont Unified School Board, I worked in high technology for 20 years in various finance, channel marketing, strategic planning and sales operation roles. I have a BS in Business Administration from Drexel University.
I humbly ask for your vote on November 6, 2012.
Please vote for:
* Proven Track Record
* Effective Board Governance
* Fiscal Responsibility
* Community-Solution Advocate
* Educated Decision Maker
* Improved Achievement Level of All Schools
* Dedicated Advocate for FUSD in Sacramento
For more information, visit www.LilyMei.org
Candidate statements and audio campaign messages are available online at www.tricityvoice.com; click on the "Election 2012" button to hear what the candidates have to say.