October 9, 2012 > Candidate Rakesh Sharma
Candidate Rakesh Sharma
For City Council, City of Fremont
I have been a Fremont resident for 25 years. I have a doctorate degree from JN Medical College in India. My wife Ranjana Sharma is a physician in town and is also Chief Medical Officer for Washington Township Medical Group. Our younger daughter, Nitasha Sharma, was born at Washington Hospital and attended local public schools. Our older daughter, Wada Sharma is currently a medical student. We all are the product of public education.
I'm a local guy who enjoys running marathons and training on Fremont Streets (25 years), organizing health fairs (15 years plus), delivering Meals on Wheels (8 years), volunteering for the Fremont "Adopt-A-Street" Program (7 years) and feeding the homeless. I've worked and lived in Japan, Texas and Caribbean.
I have also had the honor of serving my community as:
* President of Niles Rotary;
* Chair of the Ohlone Bond Oversight Committee;
* Salvation Army Board Member;
* Indo-American Chamber of Commerce Board Member;
* Ohlone College Foundation Board Member;
* Member of the Board of Trustees of American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin;
* Founding President of Indo-Americans for Better Community - an organization that has donated over $400,000 to local charities.
I have served on Planning Commission for eight years, from 2002-2010. As a Fremont Planning Commissioner, I participated in developing the General Plan 2030, supported businesses and affordable housing, protected our City's scenic hills and helped revitalize our historic districts. My well-rounded perspective, combined with tenure on multiple governing bodies, affords me a strong understanding of how local government works. As your City Councilmember, I will strive to improve public safety. I will protect open space and parklands. I will prioritize our children's futures by being an advocate for our school district. As an active member of our community, I am open to the ideas and concerns of my fellow community members and will encourage dialogues between Fremont residents and the City government by organizing neighborhood meetings.
Furthermore, I am not aligned with any for-profit ventures, special interest groups, businesses or other organizations that would preclude me from voting on issues that are important to the City of Fremont and its residents.
I want Fremont to be the City that:
* has the best police and fire services;
* is very business friendly;
* protects its open spaces and is committed to affordable housing;
* supports development of parks and recreation activities;
* supports our school district;
* has well-maintained roads;
* is committed to effective communication with its residents.
I will do my best to meet these goals. I'm an independent thinker, a good listener and dedicated to serving Fremont residents with integrity and dedication. My leadership experience, commitment to community services and clear vision for our City's future qualify me to serve and represent our fine city as a Councilmember. If you're looking for a passionate, open candidate with experience, then I'm your candidate. I'm the people's candidate. I respectfully ask for your support on November 6, 2012. www.ElectSharma.com. THANK YOU!
Candidate statements and audio campaign messages are available online at www.tricityvoice.com; click on the "Election 2012" button to hear what the candidates have to say.