October 9, 2012 > Candidate Anthony Pegram
Candidate Anthony Pegram
For BART Board Director, District 3
I am a Licensed Engineer with an MBA. I've worked for BART for 20 years, and I know the system inside and out. I also know what can be done to make the system better. That's why I'm running for the BART Board.
Fundamentally, there are three key elements that can be improved upon immediately:
* Passenger Safety - I'll increase the presence and effectiveness of BART Police on our trains and in our stations. Additionally, un-armed BART Resource Officers should be on our trains to deter problem behavior and aid riders when necessary.
* Cleaner Trains - I'll reallocate budgets so that our trains and stations are cleaned at a much higher rate. BART facilities should be the model for cleanliness for the region's public transit systems.
* Reliable Service - Every time you ride, fare machines and gates need to operate flawlessly. Elevators and escalators should be operating and clean and storage should be available at stations for bicycles or they can be brought aboard trains at any time.
Too often political candidates have ideas but very few practical solutions. That's why it's important that the BART Board has experienced professionals, NOT politicians. Here are some of the projects that I've helped to manage:
* San Francisco Airport Extension
* Oakland Airport Extension
* East Contra Costa Extension,
* Rail Vehicle Rehabilitation Project
* Vehicle procurement projects system-wide
As BART moves forward, it will be critical to work with the other transit agencies in our region to ensure seamless transitions from foot to bike to bus to BART. We can only expect people to use the system if we provide safe, clean and reliable service.
I've been proud to serve our community on Boards and Commissions for many years and I have not only an understanding but an appreciation for bringing citizen-experts together to solve problems and make good decisions. That's why I was asked to serve on the following Boards:
* Oakland Landmarks Board - To preserve community integrity;
* Planning Commission - To help ensure safety and aesthetic compliance;
* Base Reuse Authority - To maximize economic opportunity for the community;
* Alameda County Fair Board - To bring fiscal stability to an important asset.
I'm proud to have received the endorsements of so many community leaders and organizations. It's a support base built on the need for solid decision-making instead of politics. I hope I've earned your support as well.
Thank you so much for taking the time to learn more about my priorities and experience, when it comes to the BART system, making it cleaner, safer and more reliable for our community.
For more information, please visit my website at www.AnthonyPegramBartBoard.com or send me an e-mail at email@example.com.
Candidate statements and audio campaign messages are available online at www.tricityvoice.com; click on the "Election 2012" button to hear what the candidates have to say.