March 27, 2012 > Be aware of your surroundings. Don't be a victim!
Be aware of your surroundings. Don't be a victim!
Submitted By Tim Jones, Newark PD
A Thieves' Paradise...
Where can you find a place where people leave their wallets, purses, cell phones, navigation systems, or cars unattended and ripe for theft? The answer won't surprise you; it happens every time they pull off the road to get gas or grab their favorite drink from a convenience store and leave their keys in the ignition or their doors unlocked.
Most of the time, gas station and convenience store customers leave their car doors unlocked. This enables a thief to approaches the victim's car, open an unlocked door, and grab any valuables within reach. Then, the thief quickly flees! It's a crime of opportunity that takes only a few seconds to commit.
These types of thefts can be easily prevented by keeping the following tips in mind:
* Pick gas stations and stores that are well-lighted and have video surveillance cameras.
* Always remove your keys, close the windows, and lock the doors.
* Keep valuables out of plain view in your vehicle and lock the doors even if you are going inside for just a moment.
* Pay attention to your surroundings.
* Don't let your cell phone distract you.
Learn how you can keep these crimes of opportunity from happening to you by forming a Neighborhood Watch! Please contact:
Community Engagement Division
Newark Police Dept.