July 19, 2011 > Wonderopolis(r) asks, 'What Can You Find at Fremont's Farmers' Markets?'
Wonderopolis(r) asks, 'What Can You Find at Fremont's Farmers' Markets?'
The National Center for Family Literacy (NCFL) has chosen Fremont as a summer Wonderopolis(r) encouraging families to explore their own neighborhoods, finding wonder-ful places that often escape notice during the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
This is the fifth in a series of six weekly challenges that focuses on unique community "wonders." Fremont challenges will be posted each Monday at WonderopolisChallenge.org. Families are encouraged to register and begin as soon as possible but can do so any time within the six-week period.
Participating families who successfully complete at least three of the six weekly challenges will be entered to win a five-day all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. To be eligible, the winning family must be available to travel between Aug. 21 and 28.
In addition, Wonderopolis(r) posts a national "Wonder of the Day(r)" at its website. Wonderopolis(r) can be found on Twitter and Facebook; a video is posted on YouTube and vimeo.
FREMONT WONDER #5: "What Can You Find at Fremont's Farmers' Markets?"
If you enjoy shopping... or eating... then this week's Fremont Wonderopolis Challenge is for you!
Fremont has several farmers' markets to visit:
* Irvington Farmers' Market - Open year-round on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bay Street and Trimboli Way
* Centerville Farmers' Market - Open year-round on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Bonde Way and Fremont Boulevard
* Kaiser Permanente Fremont Farmers' Market - Open year-round on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 39400 Paseo Padre Parkway
* Ramirez Farms-Open every day (closed winter)
Walnut Avenue & Guardino Drive (510) 499-9251
* Perry Farms-Open Daily Monday - Saturday 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. Sundays 9 - 5 p.m. 34600 Ardenwood Boulevard (510) 793-6658
Try it out!
What better way to celebrate the joys of shopping at your local farmers' market than to eat what you buy? You'll fall in love with the fresh fruits, vegetables, greens and nuts straight from your local farmers!
This week's Wonderopolis Fremont Challenge is all about the joys of shopping for fresh fruits and vegetables at Fremont's farmers' markets. Choose one of the following challenges for your family to complete, and then come back to the Wonderopolis web site to share your experience.
* Take a family trip to a local farmers' market! Check your grocery list and see how many items you can purchase fresh from a farmers' market instead. See who can count the most types of fruits and vegetables. What was the most interesting thing you saw at the farmers' market?
* Plan a family meal that consists entirely of fresh fruits and vegetables. Visit a local grocery store and a local farmers' market to compare prices and availability of ingredients. Where can you buy fresh fruits and vegetables cheapest? Which had the best variety of fruits and vegetables?
* Interview a local farmer! Head out to your local farmers' market and talk to the farmers who sell their fruits and vegetables there. What is special about their products? Why are their products better than those available in stores? What interesting things can you learn from them?