June 28, 2011 > Community tour
Historical society sponsors tour; public welcome
Submitted By Harriett McGuire
The Milpitas Historical Society will sponsor a Community Tour on Saturday, July 2. Everyone is invited to the free event which, will consist of four stops to see and learn about local landmarks, fruit cultivation, vineyards and the history of the Milpitas area.
9:30 a.m. - Alviso Adobe on Piedmont Road (enter through Alviso Adobe Court)
Greg Armendariz, City of Milpitas Public Works Director will talk about plans for the park to be developed around the Adobe. Built in the 1840s with a second story added around 1856, the Alviso Adobe is the oldest structure in Milpitas.
10 a.m. - Silva apricot ranch, 891 Piedmont Road
The last working apricot ranch in Milpitas; where Kelly Silva and his family have cared for this vintage farm for almost 60 years. They will show how their Blenheim apricots are cut, laid out on trays and taken by rail carts to be dried. Taste this delicious fruit and buy some to take home.
11 a.m., - St. John the Baptist Cemetery, 651 Piedmont Road
Purchased July 21, 1898, by Rev. Charles Franchi for $500, the six acres of land was established in 1902 as the parish cemetery for St. John the Baptist Church in Milpitas. This is the resting place for many pioneer Milpitas families. There will be a walking tour around the grounds.
Noon - Vineyards at Big Dog Ranch, 4545 Felter Road
Taste their award-winning wines and enjoy the spectacular view of Santa Clara Valley. Owned and operated by Mark and Sandy Capalongan, this is Milpitas' own small winery with a family atmosphere. Picnic tables are available if you wish to bring a picnic lunch.
For more information about the Milpitas Historical Society, call (408) 320-9587.
Saturday, July 2
Milpitas history tour
Piedmont Road (Alviso Adobe Ct.), Milpitas