Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


October 14, 2009 > Logan makes statement loud and clear

Logan makes statement loud and clear

By Jeff Weisinger

In what was to be the toughest game on paper for both James Logan and Newark Memorial, the Colts showed the league that they were back to the perennial powerhouse they've always been in Logan's 44-6 blowout of the Newark Memorial Cougars Friday night, Oct. 9, in Union City.

"The question is can we beat a good, quality team," said Colts Head Coach George Zuber. "And we think that Newark is a really good, quality team and we're proud to do as well as we did tonight."

The Colts (3-3, 2-0) ran well against a Cougars defense who simply did not show up to play Friday night.

"This win is great," said Colts wide receiver Joe Castro. "It's a big win for us and we're doing pretty good."

"This game is a statement that the MVAL is ours this year," said Colts senior quarterback Jon Willis.

Newark came up big in the Colts opening drive of the game however, forcing Willis to fumble on the third play of the game as Newark defensive lineman Osana Futi returned the fumble 35 yards to the Logan four-yard line.

Willis played solid for the Colts on the night, throwing for 126 yards with two touchdowns, and rushing for 86 yards on 15 carries.

"I'm just trying to do what I can do," Willis added.

"One of our goals was not to start off the way we started last week," Zuber added.

For the second time in as many weeks, Logan opened up with a turnover in the opening drive (two interceptions in their first two drives against Irvington last week).

As it looked as if the Cougars would strike first, Newark junior quarterback Nick Pohndorf fumbled the snap on second and goal with Logan recovering the fumble.

The Colts would finally strike for their first score on their third drive of the game, driving 76 yards on six plays as Victor Johnson's 15-yard touchdown run put Logan up 7-0 with just over five minutes left in the first quarter.

After the Colts defense forced the Cougars to go three-and-out for the second time of the game, Johnson struck again for the Colts, this time breaking four tackles as he ran 37 yards for his second touchdown of the game to put the Colts up 14-0 in the first quarter. Johnson finished the game rushing for 104 yards on nine carries with two touchdowns.

Newark Memorial had nothing going offensively in the first half as Logan forced the Cougars to three-and-out in four of their first five drives of the game.

Logan took a 23-0 halftime lead off Willis' 15-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Tolbertson in the back of the end zone with eight seconds left in the half.

Willis would strike again through the air in the fourth quarter with a 32-yard touchdown pass to Castro to put Logan up 37-0.

Logan continued their dominance defensively in the fourth quarter as Marjely Taugavau intercepted a Chris Flexen pass at returned it 31 yards for a touchdown to give the Colts a commanding 44-0 lead in the fourth.

Newark prevented the shutout in the fourth quarter as Flexen hit tight end Kendall Andrews in the end zone to cut the deficit to 44-6.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice