Tri-City Voice Newspaper - What's Happening - Fremont, Hayward, Milpitas, Newark, Sunol and Union City, California


May 6, 2009 > Panthers strike again

Panthers strike again

Submitted By Paul Dunn
Photos By Ed Ohye

On Saturday, May 2, the FC Fremont girls U-15 House League first-place Panthers kept their winning ways going by defeating the Strikers for the third time this season, 2-0.

The game started in wet, blustery conditions and even though the rain became heavier as the game continued, both teams ignored the weather to put on a fine display of soccer. The Panthers took an early lead when Erica Ohye dribbled down the left wing and fired a wicked, low shot which crept under the keeper and into the net.

Both teams continued to attack and the Strikers won a series of corners, but the Panthers defense, led by sisters Sanya and Sanchla Sehgal, worked hard and maintained the 1-0 lead into halftime.

The second half started well for the Panthers when Megan Dunn received the ball just inside the Strikers' half, and took the ball all the way to the goal area, fending off two defenders before unleashing a low, hard shot which the keeper did well to stop. However the goalie couldn't hold onto the powerful shot and watched helplessly as the ball bounced to the feet of Ohye who hammered the ball home from four yards out.

Minutes later, Kinsey Mead was fouled in the Strikers' goal area and the referee pointed to the spot. Kinsey's sister, Madison, stepped up to take the penalty, and her penalty kick beat the keeper but just grazed the outside of the post.

The Strikers pushed forward and mounted a series of attacks. With less than 15 minutes left in the game, they were awarded a penalty when a Panthers' defender handled the ball in the box. The penalty was well taken and heading for the top right corner of the goal, when Panthers' goalie Zarin Khan jumped and stretched up her arm to punch the ball over the bar for a corner.

Minutes later there was another Panthers handball in the area and a second penalty awarded. Again, another well taken penalty shot was dramatically saved by Khan to maintain the Panthers' two-goal lead.

In a space of only five minutes, Khan had made two spectacular penalty saves and ensured the Panthers' 2-0 victory in a hard fought game.

Home        Protective Services Classifieds   Community Resources   Archived Issues  
About Us   Advertising   Comments   Subscribe   TCV Store   Contact

Tri Cities Voice What's Happening - click to return to home page

Copyright © 2018 Tri-City Voice