December 31, 2008 > Historic meets modern at new Milpitas Public Library
Historic meets modern at new Milpitas Public Library
Submitted By Leslie Stobbe
The City of Milpitas Redevelopment Agency restored a historic grammar school and transformed it into the centerpiece of a modern library. The Agency invites the public to the grand opening of the new Milpitas Public Library on Saturday, January 10, 2009.
Former Milpitas Grammar School students will attend the event. The Milpitas Grammar School, built in the Greek revival architecture style, opened in 1916 and closed in 1956. It later served as Milpitas City Hall, the police department and the Milpitas Senior Center.
The ceremony begins 10 a.m., at 160 North Main Street on the steps of the restored historic building with a traditional ribbon cutting.