November 5, 2008 > Open house at School for the Deaf
Open house at School for the Deaf
Diversity, personal growth, and opportunity are the ideals of California School for the Deaf (CSD) in Fremont. Guests, students and parents will have an opportunity to learn about staff, the campus and the vision that it offers at the annual open house on Veterans Day, November 11th.
CSD began operating in a rented home on Tehama Street in San Francisco in 1860 with its first student, Theophilus d,Estrella. In 1869, CSD moved to a former dairy in the new town of Berkeley. When fire destroyed the school in 1875, a temporary structure was quickly rebuilt, re-opening with 75 students. In 1900, Principal William Caldwell added driver training to the school curriculum, believed to be the first driver training classes for the deaf in the U.S.
Herbert Hoover's inaugural address in 1929 was the first time CSD students "heard" remarks broadcast by radio that were interpreted. In the summer of 1980 the school moved from Berkeley to Fremont. Henry Klopping, Ph.D., principal of CSD has provided enthusiastic dynamic leadership for the students and faculty since 1975. Klopping has focused the school on parental involvement and hospitality emphasizing an "open door policy."
Universal challenges for students and schools include language problems and career opportunities; CSD is no different. CSD provides students with academic and vocational education in a wide variety of subjects.
CSD Open House
Tuesday, November 11
8:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
39350 Gallaudet Dr., Fremont
(510) 794-3707 TTY | Voice | Videophone