May 8, 2007 > The Newark Rose Family
The Newark Rose Family
Antonio Nunes Rose was born on the Azores Island of Pico in 1828. He came to the Centerville area in the 1850's and bought land that became known as "the Rose ranch." In 1864, he married Rosa Gloria Garcia and brought her to his ranch in the U.S.
One acre was taken from the Rose farm in 1865, before the birth of any Rose children, for the Lincoln School where all of the Rose children began their school years. This site was held by the Newark School District until sold in 1947.
Rosa and Antonio Rose had 11 children - all born on their ranch - who attended Lincoln Elementary School and grew to adulthood. Seven of these children obtained college educations.
Emanuel, the first child, was born in 1866. He traveled to South Africa and South America and was never heard from after his last letter in 1909.
Anthony, the second child, graduated from Harvard, taught science in several high schools and was principal of Cedarville High School in Alturas County. He married Lois Harding in 1920. Their children are Gloria, Harding and Edna. Gloria's children are Susan, a history teacher in New York and Loren, an orthopedic surgeon in Anchorage, Alaska. Harding's children are Robert, Victoria and Thomas. Edna's children are Craig and Charles.
The third child, Marie, became a nurse who contracted tuberculosis and died at age 46. She wrote letters to family members and kept them connected. Rose Victoria, the fourth child, was also a nurse. She lived to age 97.
Philomena attended Mills College then married John Santos in 1913. Their son John was a rancher, maintenance supervisor and was elected Mayor of Newark. Frank attended Washington College in Irvington. He married Belinda Roberts. They had no children. Louis died when he fell from an overpass in Chicago.
Dominick married Eunice Walker in 1912. Their daughter Constance was named for her Aunt Constance Rose. Constance died from TB at age 19 as a sophomore at Mills College. She was studying to be a concert pianist. Joseph was a gunner's mate on the USS Oregon and fought in the Battle of Santiago Bay in the Spanish American War. He later worked a gold claim in Humboldt County. John, the 11th child, graduated from U.C. Berkeley and earned a law degree. He married Jean Robbins; they had no children.
Antonio raised barley, hay, oats, fava beans, tomatoes, alfalfa and operated a large dairy. Farm buildings included a bunkhouse for workers, a tank house that housed the foreman, and a huge barn with a cement floor where the cows were fed and milked. The Roses always had a family garden and an orchard with plum, apricot, peach, walnut and almond trees with a huge mission fig tree by the back door. The 1878 Historical Atlas of Alameda County features a view of the Rose farm with family members and the original house. Bruce MacGregor described the gracious life style of the Rose family and noted that the "Rose lands were productive and on St. John's Day, Antonio brought a whole cow to barbecue to share his good fortune." Family members gathered here over a period of many years to celebrate Christmas.
The family home was razed about 1880 and replaced with a 13-room palatial home that became known as "the Rose Mansion." Gloria Herschkorn shared memories of the house and farm. Two floors and an attic totaled 7800 square feet. The first floor had three large living rooms, a dining room, two bedrooms, a bathroom, the kitchen pantries, and a large entry foyer. On the second floor were six large bedrooms and a bath. The third story attic was used as a dance floor and storage area. A special feature of the mansion was five marble tile fireplaces. All were doweled with fancy woodwork and one, especially ornate, had a birds-eye maple mantle. The hand-turned formal stairway featured a decorative newel post and fancy trim.
The Newark School District purchased the Rose property for the John MacGregor Intermediate School. People agreed that the house should be saved, but no one saved it.