March 27, 2007 > Summer Camps -Sports
Summer Camps -Sports
By Vidya Pradhan
Last week we brought you information on science camps in the area. If you missed the paper, be sure to check out our archives online at www.tricityvoice.com. The second part of this series is on sports camps.
City of Fremont - The recreation department of the city of Fremont offers summer programs for various sport disciplines.
- All Day sports camp -Sports may include soccer, basketball, t-ball/baseball/softball, flag football, volleyball, frisbee games, hiking, and water activities.
- Basketball camps - Camps run 1.5 to 2 hours Mon-Fri and are located at the Irvington Community Center located at 41885 Blacow Road.
- Soccer Camps - Camps run 2 hours Mon-Fri and are located at the Central Park Soccer complex located at 1110 Stevenson Blvd.
- Flag Football Camp - Camps run 2 hours Mon-Fri and are located at the Central Park Soccer complex.
- Roller Hockey Camp - Camps run 2 hours Mon-Fri and are located at the Central Park Softball complex parking lot at 1110 Stevenson Blvd.
- Baseball/Softball Camp - Camps run 2 hours Mon-Fri and are located at the Central Park Softball complex.
In addition, there is a Summer T-Ball League for ages 4 and 5 for which registration starts in April.
More information on these camps can be found at www.ci.fremont.ca.us/Recreation/YouthSports
Union City Recreation Services - Union City offers day camps for various ages.
- Kids Sports Camps - For ages 5.5 to 7. The camp offers an introduction to sports and is located at the Kennedy Community Center at 1330 Decoto Road. This camp is an introduction to sports for 4 to 6 year olds. The camp will focus on developing coordination, exercise habits and an understanding of basic rules. This non-competitive, instructional camp is a great opportunity for youth to learn appropriate competitive behavior and athletic fundamentals while having fun.
- Sports Camp - The camp is a combination of field trips, special sports events and a variety of instruction in both traditional and non-traditional sports. Field trips will include Great America, Marine World, Half Moon Bay, Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants baseball games, Raging Waters and Shadow Cliffs Park. Activities such as recreational swimming, bowling, sports movies, and sportsmanship instruction will be offered every week.
- Skate Park Day Camp - This camp is located at the Union City Skate Park at 34009, Alvarado Blvd. It will provide instructions in basic skills, safety, balance, etiquette and carving.
For more information check out the Union City activities guide at www.ci.union-city.ca.us/leisure/Activity_Guides
Make Me A Pro Sports - Offers 2 soccer camps in Hayward from August 1-August 5. These are both half-day camps. Call (510) 677-7024 or check out their website at www.mmapsports.com/camps.html.
Skyhawks Sports Academy - Basketball and Volleyball camps are offered at City Beach in Fremont and Milpitas Sport Center from June 25 through August 17. For more information go to www.skyhawks.com.
City of Milpitas Recreational Services - In addition to Basketball classes offered by the Skyhawks Sports academy, the city has the following summer camps -
- Team Tennis Camp - June 18 -June 22. Ages 9-17 at Hall Park.
- Doubles Tennis Camp - August 13-August 17 and August 20 to August 24. Ages 12-17 at Hall Park.
- Basketball Camp - Weekly camps run from June 18 through June 29 for grades 3 to 8 at Milpitas High School Gym, 1285, Escuela Parkway.
- AroCheer - a combination of aerobics and cheering, this camp is offered on July 9 -July 13 and August 13 -August 17 at the Milpitas Community Center.
For more information check out the summer activity guide at www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/citydept/planning/recreation/summer07/ or call the Park and Recreation Services Department at (408)586-3210.
City of Hayward Recreation Services - Hayward's Summer Activity Guide will be out the week of April 16th, 2007. These are the camps being considered for the summer -
- Flag Football
These camps are being offered in conjunction with the Skyhawk Academy. In addition a British Challenge Soccer Camp is planned for the summer.
For more information on the upcoming programs go to the Recreation Services website at www.haywardrec.org or call (510) 881-6700.
World Cup Soccer Camps - Camps are offered at ClubSport in Fremont located at 46650, Landing Parkway, Fremont. Both Half day and full day camps are available. Camps are weekly starting July 9th and ending August 17th. For more information check out www.worldcupsoccercamps.com/camps.html.
Patton School of Tennis - Offers 9 weeks of tennis camps starting June 18 through August 24 at Logan High School in Union City. Camps are offered both for the novice and the advanced player. More information can be found at www.pattonschooloftennis.com or (510)881-2525.
Fremont/Newark YMCA -
- Bowling Camp - June 19-23, July 17-21 Grades 4th- 8th
- Rock Climbing Camp - June 19 -23, July 17 -21, August 14-18. Grades K-8th
- Basketball Camp - June 19-23, July 31-August 4. Grades K-8th.
- Volleyball Camp - July 24-28. Grades 4th-8th.
- Soccer Camp - July 10-14. Grades K-8th.
- World of Sports Camp - July 3-7. Grades K-8th.
- Gymnastics Camp - July 24-28. Grades K-8th.
- Extreme Wheels Camp - June 19-23. Grades 4th-8th. Bring your skateboard, roller skates and inline skates.
- Flag Football Camp - August 7 - 11. Grades 4th - 8th.
- T-Ball Camp - June 26 - 30. Grades K-1st.
- Baseball Camp - June 26-30. Grades 2nd -8th.
For more information check out www.ymcaeastbay.org/fremont or call (510) 279-2905.
While this is a comprehensive list of camps available in the area, it is by no means exhaustive. Be sure to check the activities guide of the city nearest to you for the most updated information.