May 25, 2004 > Depot Days - A Father's Day Tradition
Depot Days - A Father's Day Tradition
by Susana Nuñez
Planning for Father's Day is never an easy task, especially since for many, Mother's Day has come and gone, leaving a hole in your wallet. With only a few weeks left until the day arrives, the search for usual and welcome gifts is on! Looking for a gift that will provide a fun-filled day for the whole family, and still fit your budget? The answer lies in Centerville Business Association's (CBA) sixth annual Depot Days celebration highlight, "Ride Dad Out of Town on a Rail."
On Sunday, June 20, Father's Day, families are invited to come to the Centerville Historic Train Depot, 37260 Fremont Boulevard. Music, food, and merchant presentations will open the event for those taking the train and others who simply want to enjoy a morning of celebration. Prior to departure, watch a demonstration by Briones Karate students and enjoy Jan's Art Studio artwork. Scenario Game & Hobby will show some of their interesting kites and the Masonic Lodge will provide a child fingerprint station. The Depot opens at 10 a.m. and the Capitol Corridor train will depart at 1 pm., arriving at Jack London Square in Oakland at 1:53 p.m. Passengers can choose an early departure from Oakland back to Fremont at 4:07 p.m. or a later one at 7:37 p.m.
The train trip is part of a larger, Depot Days celebration that extends from May 20 through July 2nd. During this special time, Centerville Businesses will make available a free "Passport to Centerville Businesses" which, when filled out, allow you to win great prizes of "Depot Dollars" (from $5 to a Grand Prize of $1,000.00!) that can be spent at participating Centerville stores.
Depot Days Coordinator Carla Jeffries of CJ Designs, event and wedding coordination, says the CBA Depot Days team has worked hard to make this year's event a success. Others on the team include: Bruce Young, Bogie's Discount Pet Supply; Maggie Pederson, The Part's House; Robert "Bob" Silva, Reina Financial Network; Dirk Lorenz, Fremont Flowers & Gifts; Lisa Lorenz, The Depot Café; Billy & Debbie Cripple, Available Self-Storage; Phil Swift, the Masonic Lodge; Lara York, Fremont Education Foundation; Garth Smith, Dale Hardware; Gaby Machuca, Burrito Loco; Lirio Gonzales, Joli's Gift Baskets and More, and Jan Vincent of JVA Business Services. Jeffries stated, "It has been a group effort from the team. We have really worked hard this year to put together a great event."
Tickets are $17.00 for adults and include a keepsake giveaway bag and $6.00 for kids and include a "snack sack" with a juice, snacks and kid surprises. The proceeds will benefit the CBA to sponsor more community events like Depot Days. The Fremont Education Foundation will receive $1.00 from each of the train tickets sold at Depot Day, as well. For tickets, contact Bogie's Discount Pet Supply at 37030 Post St. (corner of Thornton Ave.) (510) 795-6000 or e-mail Petguy2u@aol.com. Additional information is available at www.cbafremont.com.
Tickets are extremely limited and will sell out, so make reservations as soon as possible.
Participating CBA Stores include:
- Available Self-Storage - 37200 Post St.
- Bogie's Discount Pet Supply - 37030 Post St.
- Briones Karate - 4097 Peralta
Burrito Loco - 3930 Decoto Rd.
- Butch's Automotive - 37175 Moraine St.
- Central Chevrolet - 4949 Thornton Ave.
- Currie Chiropractic - 37982 Fremont Blvd.
- Dale Hardware - 37100 Post St.
- Depot Cafe - Centerville Train Station
- Dorso's Auto - 3750 Bonde Way
- Eurotech - 37199 Moraine St.
- Fremont Flowers & Gifts - 36551 Fremont Blvd.
- Go Figure Women's Fitness - 37482 Fremont Blvd.
- Healthy Human Yoga - 37353 Fremont Blvd.
- Jan's Art Studio - 38215 Fremont Blvd.
- Jerry's Dance Academy - 37439 Fremont Blvd.
- JVA Business Services - 2450 Peralta Ste #100
- Kar shop - 37577 Dusterberry Way
- Martin's Beauty - 37211 Fremont Blvd.
- No Credit Check Auto Sales & Service - 3909 Thornton Ave.
- NuBody Fitness for Women - 37263 Fremont Blvd.
- One on One Fitness - 4050 Peralta Blvd. Ste. D
- PakMail - 34249 Fremont Blvd.
- The Parts House - 3900 Thornton Ave.
- Passion Salon - 34119 Fremont Blvd.
- ROC Auto Repair - 3755 Dusterberry Way #4
- Round Table Pizza - 37480 Fremont Blvd.
- Scenario Game & Hobby Shoppe - 37120 Fremont Blvd.
- Suju's Coffee & Tea - 3602 Thornton Ave.