February 17, 2004 > Test Your Hardware IQ
Test Your Hardware IQ
Dale Hardware Quiz #10
- 1. Rubber was first used by:
- American Indians
- Europeans as balls for games
- Chinese merchants for packing material
- South Pacific Islanders to build boats.
- What household item "launched the rubber industry"?
- What does "vulcanization" do to rubber?
- Makes it flame proof
- Makes it bouncier
- Retains flexibility
- Retains an original color
- Charles Goodyear, the Chairman of Goodyear Rubber Co., designed the first rubber tires for automobiles. True or False?
- B.F. Goodrich designed an all weather tire to compete with Goodyear Tire Company. True or False? Extra Credit: What do the initials B.F. stand for?
- a. American Indians made balls out of rubber. Columbus carried these back to Spain but no practical use was made of the substance.
- The garden hose.
- c. Discovered by Charles Goodyear by accident in 1839, the mixture of sulfur and rubber when heated retained flexibility in hot and cold temperatures.
- False. Charles Goodyear, after discovering the process of vulcanization, spent the rest of his life and money trying to perfect the process. He died penniless - actually in debt.
- Benjamin Franklin Goodrich, an Akron, Ohio doctor, gathered a group of investors to start the B.F. Goodrich Company that, in 1870, began selling rubber hose.