March 2, 2004 > VOTE NO: Measure A - Not a Health Service Rescue!
VOTE NO: Measure A - Not a Health Service Rescue!
- 1.35 Billion "Taxpayer" dollars will be spent if Measure A is passed. This is not for Health Care Services but goes directly to the Alameda County Board of Supervisors (ACBS) for financial mismanagement and incompetency for previous and existing services. ($90,000,000 annually for 15 years)
- Do you really think Alameda County Medical Center, (ACMC) or Highland Hospital, as we know it, is not going to move into their top of the line newly completed hospital? This includes state of the art communications center that was just built with taxpayer's money? That is a false threat, closing the hospital, which would never occur.
- Where do the Federal, State and County yearly-required funds (millions of dollars) for Health Care for this Medical Center go?
- Did you know 54% of ACMC Trauma Cases have Health insurance? Quote from ACMC fact sheet, 10/2003
- With a new sales tax hike to 8.75%, this will be the highest in the state of California. This is never mentioned to the voter in the Measure A propaganda!
- Most importantly with the Alameda County Tax the highest in California, business will move out of Fremont or worse close their doors. The citizens will shop elsewhere especially for large item products, which will suffer, i.e. automobile sales. Fremont is trying to bring new business here, not away!
- The Alameda County-Contra Costa County Medical Association (ACCMA) in late Novemember of 2003 said the 75% Northern County and 25% Soutern county distribution of the $90,000,000 dollars yearly proposed was an unfair distribution of funds. Their suggestion of a change in the ordinance was ignored and the ACBS immediately signed 12/2/03 and placed it on the ballot. No Countywide public hearing prior, no facts given to the public!
Measure A is a "Bailout" for the County Board of Supervisors for their past and present financial mistakes. For the past 30 years, ACBS have threatened to close ACMC but never did and it is still functioning and will continue without Measure A.
Lies, failure to inform, and scare tactics have coerced the Citizens in their voting. ACMC sees an opportunity to grab monies from Alameda County businesses.
James W. Gearhart MD FACS